Sunday, August 02, 2009

What Causes Bipolar Disorder?

  • I have been reading a book to help me understand my wide mood swings, The book is: The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide,by David Miklowitz,PhD. This was recommended by my thearpist. Under the section fact sheet for family is a good explanation which I have quoted below.
"Having bipolar disorder means I have imbalances in the brain's neurochemistry involving the way the cells communicate with each other. Nobody chooses to become bipolar. It is possible I inherited these imbalance from my blood relatives,although not necessarily my parents. My mood swings may be affected by life stress or sudden changes in my sleep-wake habits."

Life has been very stressful,which might be why the mood swings are so much worst. I thought this was interesting and thought I would share it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just like anyone else, our moods can be triggered by life situations too. This might have been the hardest part of the diagnosis for me, figuring out what things were things that I was REALLY feeling and what things were caused by the disorder. For quite some time I felt as if I really did not know my own mind at all and was dismayed that it seemed everything I ever felt belonged to this disease.

IK said...

I'm glad that you are learning more about bipolar. I could see how stress and sleep patterns could affect its impact on your life. It's good that you could verify that as the case.

KAT said...

I have seen your comments over at Mike's blog, and can tell you are a caring person....

We all have mood swings, it is just yours are a little different. At least you know why and are working with it. I applaud you for that. After all you have been through, I see a very strong woman with a voice to be heard.

I was wondering if you would want to write short articles for the Angels Weekly?? It is an online magazine where we women write about anything and everything, and it usually helps others along the way!

We have had some articles on child abuse, and they have been popular, which should be good, but I find kind of sad because that means there are so many others out there searching for an answer.

Would you consider writing and maybe helping others? There is no criticism here, and all negative comments are blocked by me and never posted (if there are any, which usually there aren't)

The magazine can be viewed here: The Angels Weekly

I truly hope you will join us....
Take care of you,
{{{hugs}}}
Kat

Wanda's Wings said...

Kat,
I do have some poems on sexual abuse. I'm not a great writter by any means.

Patricia Singleton said...

Wanda, I have a neice and nephew who are supposed to be bipolar. Thanks for mentioning the book. I will order it to read. My nephew asked me if I thought my dad might have been bipolar. I told him I didn't know enough about it to even guess. My neice seems to have a fulfilling life with a husband and 3 children. My nephew is having major problems adjusting to being bipolar.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to have found your blog. I've never had contact with anyone who is both bipolar nd a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I've been wondering lately how related the two eventualities are.
Thanks.